Level 1 in Maths
Overview of Qualification
The NCFE Functional Skills qualification in Mathematics at Level 1 is listed on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and is part of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). This qualification is ideal for learners wishing to develop practical, transferable skills in mathematics in order to work confidently, effectively and independently in life. It is suitable for a wide range of individuals and is fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications and frameworks, such as Foundation Learning and Apprenticeships.
This qualification is designed for a wide range of learners who want to develop practical and transferable skills in mathematics. There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. This qualification is suitable for learners aged pre-16 and above. Centres are responsible for ensuring that this qualification is appropriate for the age and ability of learners. They need to make sure that learners can fulfil the requirements of the assessment criteria and comply with the relevant literacy, numeracy and health and safety aspects of this qualification. Learners registered on this qualification shouldn’t undertake another qualification at the same level with the same or a similar title, as duplication of learning may affect funding eligibility.
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level
- NCFE Functional Skills qualification in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) at Level 1
- NCFE Functional Skills qualification in Mathematics at Level 2
As this qualification develops transferable skills, which will be useful in work and life, candidates could also progress on to a variety of NCFE qualifications in employability, money management, or other vocational areas.
This qualification is also an integral part of the Apprenticeship and Diploma frameworks.
How the qualification is assessed
Assessment is the process of measuring a candidate’s skill, knowledge and understanding against the standards set in a qualification.
- Each candidate is required to undertake an externally set and assessed task-based question paper.
- Questions are set and assessed by NCFE. The paper assesses candidates’ knowledge and skills, covering each of the process skills and a selection of the skills sub-sections of the Functional Skills Mathematics standards at Level 2
- The assessment is administered by centre staff under examination conditions and will last for 2 hours. This includes candidate reading time.
- Certificates are issued automatically after successful completion of the external assessment.
- This includes registration, assessment and certification
Level: NQF Level 1
Awarding Organisation: NCFE
Assessment: Mandatory task-based external exam