Overview of the Qualification
This qualification is suitable for candidates aged 18 and above. The NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2 is an ideal qualification for candidates wishing to develop practical, transferable skills in English in order to work confidently, effectively and independently in life. It is suitable for a wide range of individuals and is fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications and frameworks, such as the Diploma and Apprenticeships.
- This qualification is designed for a wide range of learners who want to develop practical and transferable skills in English
- There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
- This qualification is suitable for learners aged post-17 and above, although it is recommended that learners should be aged at least 18.
- Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- NCFE Functional Skills qualifications in Mathematics
- NCFE Functional Skills qualifications in Information and
- Communication Technology
- As this qualification develops transferable skills which will be useful in work and life, learners could also progress onto a variety of NCFE qualifications in Employability, Money Management, or vocational areas
How is the qualification assessed?
Assessment is the process of measuring a candidate’s skill, knowledge and understanding against the standards set in a qualification. Each candidate is required to undertake 3 task-based assessments. Centres are free to choose the date, time and location of the assessments, and there’s no need to take them in any particular order. Candidates will be issued with an individual result of ‘achieved’ or ‘not yet achieved’ for each of the individual components:
- Speaking, Listening and Communication
If candidates do not achieve their component assessment they are able to re-sit the individual component. All 3 components must be achieved in order to obtain a full certificate. Partial certification is not available for this qualification. Grades are not awarded and the components are weighted equally.
Candidates can take their assessments at any time; however, as these are summative assessments, they should only be taken when the centre is confident that the candidate is able to achieve the component at the relevant level. During the assessments candidates will be assessed against all of the skills standards and each of the coverage and range statements that comprise the skills standards at Level 2.
Achieving this qualification
Achieving this qualification This qualification consists of 3 mandatory components:
- component 1 Speaking, Listening and Communication
- component 2 Reading
- component 3 Writing
To be awarded the NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2, learners are required to successfully complete all 3 mandatory components, by achieving their task-based assessments. Component credits will not be awarded. Grades are not awarded and the 3 components are weighted equally.
Speaking, Listening and Communication are assessed via a summative, controlled assessment that is internally assessed and moderated and externally moderated. NCFE sets the parameters of the assessment and supplies the mandatory assessment materials. The NCFE Functional Skills English Level 2 Assessment Pack contains the externally set controlled assessments for the speaking, listening and communication component.
The Reading and Writing components are assessed via 2 separate externally set and assessed task-based question papers. Candidates will be issued with a result of ‘achieved’, ‘not yet achieved’ or ‘within 10%’ for each of the assessments. The assessments are administered by centre staff under examination conditions and will both last for 1 hour. This includes candidate reading time.
If the candidate achieves their external assessment(s) before NCFE receives notification of successful internal assessment, the external assessment result(s) will be banked until a full certificate is claimed.
- This includes registration, assessment and certification
Level: NQF Level 2
Awarding Organisation: NCFE
Assessment: 3 Mandatory task-based assessments